Thursday, December 3, 2015

SCOPE CREEP

Scope Creep goes something like this: work with a new client starts off as well as you would expect, but over time the project seems to get bigger and bigger while your price remains the same. The client either (a) seems to think that the “extra”work is within the scope of the original agreement, or (b) simply doesn’t realize that he or she is asking for more than was originally agreed. Either way, you’re losing money. (Ewer, 2015)
I am very familiar with the phrase “scope creep” because I’ve been the client who wanted to expand a project by adding extra work but pay the same price. I was the client of a kitchen remodel. I had a small kitchen but wanted the cabinets, counters, floors, appliances, lighting and paint done for under $10,000. The time limit, yesterday, although I agreed for the job completion to be 4 weeks from the start date. My role was to pick out the cabinets, paint color, hardware for the cabinets, floor tile and appliances. My expectations were enhanced because the tear out of the old cabinets and flooring happened in a couple of hours. The measurements were taken prior to and the cabinets and countertops were on order. Then the waiting game began.
The cabinets were due to to arrive within a couple of days after the tear out but didn’t arrive until about two weeks later. Meanwhile, our old appliances are in the family room and the stove has been disconnected. How much fast food can you eat? My family was eating out three times a day  for over two weeks and the cost was astronomical. Tempers began to rise. My spouse would call the contractor almost once a day inquiring about the status of the work and the completion date. I would call on the other days asking questions as well. Of course the completion date was set back because of the cabinet delivery date. The project was completed but it was three weeks past the projected completion date.
On the flip side, if I was in charge of this project, the tear out of the old kitchen would have been delayed until the new cabinets and counter tops arrived. We were prepared to be inconvenienced by the kitchen being inoperable but six weeks was a long time. I also think if the project manager had more workers, the downtime could have been minimum. The contractor was very patient but
I wouldn’t wish a kitchen remodel on anyone. I could do it over again but we would have to be out of town while the construction was being completed. Some of the factors that went well, great communication. We were informed of the progress once a week, good or bad. He was honest and dependable. Even though he did do some additional work that was not annotated in the contract, we weren’t charged. the kitchen was beautiful. Upon completion, I was the contractors’ biggest fan.
Reference
Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

3 comments:

  1. I love your graphics on your blog. I am following you through Feedly. Did you design the banner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and graphical blog!! Love it! Looking forward to hearing your insights about training and development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rickita,
    I am finally following your blog. I love your blog! You have definitely inspired me to step it up! Looking forward to our discussions.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete